Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Magsaysay Park Melting

I don’t suppose it is strange to have a song playing in ones head every time one walks along a beach, a city street, a park or even a mall.

Sunday was the first time I ever set foot inside Magsaysay Park. I don’t think I would have been there this early in time of my being in Davao City if it were not part of my school assignment. “The park is just for the maids spending their day off, nothing worth seeing inside there”, Gabriel has said more than once when I ask him if anything special to see inside. Of course, I’d laugh and tell him, maybe he’s got some memories to avoid. But he did come with me when to see the Kalimudan Exhibit that Sunday. I was surprised to find out that one can see the view of Samal Island from a certain point inside the park. I wouldn’t have guessed. Who ever designed the park did a very bad job concealing such magnificent sight. And the park, oh my, it’s grisly! Even Magsaysay standing in his monument looks unhappy. What statue wouldn’t be?

Gabriel and I had fun walking through the exhibit and thought the large trampoline-like structure was a lot of fun. But I kept hearing that song in my head … “McArthur Park is melting in the dark….” And I’ve thought of that still unnamed park in another part of the city that I passed by just the previous week. Why are they making another park when they haven’t done anything good with this one that I can see holds great promise of being a wonderful park.

That night, I asked Gabriel if it would be a good idea to write the governor and tell him we can create a much better Baywalk in Davao City if he’d let me takeover managing Magsaysay Park. Gabriel laughed, he knows I’m serious, but he also knows that my passion will melt away as soon as my passiveness kicks in.

But I am still thinking of the park even after three days later. I imagine how beautiful it would be to drive or walk along Magsaysay Boulevard with the view of the Samal Island. I imagine how much tastier the durians will be in my mouth when my eyes are feasting with the bubbly waves and the dancing skies that would only separate Samal and me.

We have planned to eat durian after going through the exhibit, but I suddenly feel I need to pee first. I can’t eat durian with a full bladder. Gabriel glanced at the park toilet and said, “You wouldn’t be able to pee in there”. Suddenly, we don’t feel like eating durian anymore and off we went to Agdao Market to face the huge rats of the city.

No comments: